Aerial View of roman ditch with two graves
The first image is an aerial view showing a Roman ditch (top ~ the dark soil is infill) along which two Roman graves are aligned (the rectangles on the right) with two 18th brick wells (to their left).
Close up of one of the graves- Showing remains of a skeleton and coffin
The second image is a close up of one of the graves showing the remains of the timber coffin and the human skeleton contained within.
For more pictures please click Gallery
During the week commencing 9th December 2013, archaeological excavation of the upper levels of the site have revealed three adult cattle skeletons dating to the late 1800’s and most likely related to the rinderpest (cattle plague) pandemics which affected Britain in the 18th century. The excavation of the three skeletons took most of that week to uncover. With a mortality rate as high as 90%, attempts were made by the government to curb the spread of this virulent viral disease. This involved the cull of cattle at an early stage of infection with farmers encouraged by a compensation scheme to register diseased animals. A larger collection of cattle (45 individuals) dating to the same period were found at the recent British Museum excavations undertaken by PCA.
Also, two wells have been revealed on the site, one of which contains a number of ceramic items including cups, tableware etc., from the late 1800’s.
Seems like our Volunteers have already found more than they were expecting.
For more pictures including the wells please click Gallery.